Friday, May 8, 2009

A Change of Plans

So today I was walking home with Andrea after school and I opened up my mailbox. As I flipped through the letters, Andrea let out a squeal because I got a letter from UBC.  I had been waiting if I had gotten accepted in the Human Kinetics program. I opened it up and... Sigh. It said that  my academic record didn't meet the required admission average. I have a 3.2 GPA at Douglas College which is a B+. I need a 3.7, which is just above an A-. I didn't realize that the program was so competitive and I was feeling pretty down. I felt like pretty down and tried to nap it off. Despite the dissatisfaction, I considered my other options. I am going to The University of Fraser Valley offers a Kinesiology Degree which I will use as my back up plan if I don't get into UBC. There are a few things that work in my favour while I will be at Douglas College. I have taken most of the core courses for the Sport Science Program which will allow me to take more electives. These elective include basketball/field hockey, tennis/badminton, and other sport analysis courses. Also, I will be able to continue to play wheelchair basketball. I have grown to like playing wheelchair basketball very much, and I am excited to continue playing in City League and in Division 2. Furthermore, I will still get to see all the great friends I have met at Douglas. A few people were quite sad that I would be "leaving" them, but I guess they will be seeing me more next year. 

I also played beach volleyball for the first time in 9 months yesterday. I was definitely very rusty. I felt so bad for everyone I played with. My timing was off, couldn't pass easy balls, and overall just sucked. Nevertheless, it was fun and I enjoyed it. I felt real sore this morning however. My legs and back were tired from lack of physical activity for a long time. 

Anyways, thats my first real post. I will think of something else

Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment