Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What is Cool?

What is considered cool? Cool by definition is: 

"Fashionably attractive or impressive."

Until I was about 8, I thought everything was cool. I didn't care what I looked like. Clothes were clothes, no matter what they were or how much they cost. If they covered you up, they were cool. Once grade 4 rolled around, I started to determine the difference between cool and uncool. I would gel my hair across my head, wear my shorts low, and want expensive things. All to be considered cool. If you played sports you were cool. If you were a girl who played sports, you were especially cool. If you were funny you were cool. If you didn't hang out with me or my group, you were not cool. Wait, the definition of cool is "attractive or impressive." The last description of not cool, that doesn't fit the bill. I guess in elementary school, only your friends are cool. Fair enough, I didn't know better. 

Grade 6 rolled around. New school, new friends. Now in grade 6, I had practically no friends until 2 weeks in. I got beat up (kind of) during the first week of school during sports day. I thought I wasn't cool because I had no friends. Was it the way I dressed? Was it the way I walked and talked? I was a t-shirt and shorts guy. I have always been a t-shirt and shorts type of guy. I met a few friends because of our similarities. Finally! Cool people! In Middle School, I thought all the athletes were cool. Everyone that was good at volleyball, basketball and track and field were all considered cool. Everyone that was good in P.E. was cool. Everyone that was bad at P.E. and did poorly in school was not cool. This is all coming from me, my previous perspective of cool. Coming from my peers, they all thought I was cool because I had good grades and was good at sports. Still biased with my decisions and looked at the external factors of people. Signs of immaturity.

So high school. Way more people. Huge school. Here I learned the real truth behind what is cool and not. Cool is a point of perspective. People do drugs, I don't think they are cool. Others do. People drink every weekend. I don't think thats cool. Again, lots of people do. Kids fail and skip classes. They think its cool, I don't. Understanding that cool is an individual point of view comes from maturity. Just because someone is uncool in your view doesn't mean they are a bad person, or that they can't be your friend. A lot of people meet because of similarities or differences. I find that things I can't do, which other's can do is cool. I've been watching a lot of soccer lately. I can't even begin to think how some people can do all those tricks with their feet. I think thats cool. However, I think that people that listen to the same music may be cool. But when looking at what is cool and not, it is important to look not only on the outside but the inside. Does a person have a nice, outgoing personality? Or maybe a nasty, conceited one? You could say that both may be cool, depending on what you are looking for. 

People often try to fit in with the a crowd that they perceive to be cool. I don't drink very often. Does that mean all my friends don't drink? No. "Like people for who they are, don't hate them for what they aren't." Don't try to be something you're not. "Our similarities should allow us to accept each other's differences." Everyone is cool in their own way. You just have to find a way to let everyone know it.

School tomorrow, have to go to sleep early.
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment