Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Zebra Man

Refereeing is one of the toughest jobs. You have to keep your head on a swivel, make tough decisions and any one of your calls can turn the game around. Referees also have to deal with a lot of verbal abuse. I referee in the TCYBA, a league which I think is crap because the coaches don't know what they are doing. Most coaches have no experience, but they think they are the next Phil Jackson. Most of the coaches don't even know the rules to the game, which pisses me off when they try to dispute my call. For example: a player misses 3 consecutive shots from inside the key. The coach will yell: 
"3 in the key ref! Call it!"
First off, the 3 in the key time resets after a shot attempt, whether it hits the rim or not. 75% of the coaches I referee don't understand this elementary rule. So after I explain to the idiot, he still thinks he is right. Another thing that coaches in the league don't understand is that just because there is contact, doesn't mean that a foul should be called. Just because someone falls on the floor doesn't mean its a foul. When looking for a foul, you look for body positioning, space positioning, and body control. So when a person falls because they are going 1 on 3, I am not going to call any ticky-tack fouls. Don't throw your arms up in the air because that just makes me look for calls to call against your team. Aside from coaches, parents are the worst. They also think that they are always right. I hate secondary comments from parents because explaining my call would just waste my time. I just want to turn around, offer them my whistle, and ask them:
"Hey, you want to referee the game? I could be somewhere better right now. Shut it."
I also don't need to know that I made a mistake. I've been refereeing long enough to know that I have made a mistake. So coaches, I don't need you to remind me 3 possessions after. Here are a few idiotic comments I have received from dumb-ass coaches and parents.
"You are not getting my player the ball fast enough on the inbound. You're ruining my fast break!" - Are you stupid? You don't fast break on an inbound.
"Can we play an extra 10 minutes?" - No I am paid to stop the game at a certain time you idiot. Unless you want to pay me overtime."
"What??!!" - Shut up
"Ref you missed a call" - Coach you need to shut the f**k up, because your team is losing and you fail at coaching.
Another thing that bothers me when I am refereeing is my partner. If I am paired with a newer referee, I don't mind explaining referee positioning and spacing. But if they don't listen and always cross into my path, I get pissed. This one time, I was paired with a noob that had 1 year experience refereeing grade 4-5 boys. We were reffing grade 6-7 boys, a pretty big jump. Well this kid shows up 5 minutes to tip off, in skate shoes. Automatically I knew this was going to be a long night. I asked him what his name was. He whispers gibberish. I ask him again, and he says his real name. So we started the game. First off, he never switched sides so I ended up staying on one side the entire half. Second, he never used his damn whistle. I had a 15-1 whistle count I estimated. For ever 15 calls I would make, he would make 1. This made it extremely difficult on the players because 1 team would get all the fouls, and the other team would get screwed over. It was actually stupid, he called 15 fouls the whole night. 15!! Thats about how much I call in a whole game. Coaches were getting frustrated, parents were getting angry because their kids were getting hurt, and I was getting pissed off because my partner didn't know squat.
I don't blame him however. The TCYBA does such a shitty job with refereeing clinics. All stupid Lorallyne (referee coordinator) says is: blow your whistle loud. O.o All stupid David Weir (some guy with TCYBA) says is: call it. Well first off, you don't teach the kids what to call and what to look for. You turn a scheduled 3 hour clinic into a 1 hour gong show. Its not like the league doesn't have resources either. One of the most well-known and respected referees in the WORLD is offering his help, but they say: 
"No, he goes into too much detail."
You idiot, refereeing is about details.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. I have to start studying.

Later Gators

No comments:

Post a Comment