Monday, May 11, 2009

Psychology is Interesting!!

I started my psychology notes tonight. First off, I have put more effort in Psychology 1200 in 90 minutes than the whole semester of Psychology 1100. Second, while I was reading my textbook, I realized that I have experienced a lot of things in school that I am learning. A lot of these things I can't stand. This could be considered a rant, but I am linking it to Psychology.

We are learning about Social Psychology. Social Psychology is the scientific study of how we think about, influence and relate to one another. A real "head scratcher" I am wrapping my head around is the Attribution Theory. The Attribution Theory credits the situation or the person's disposition to their behaviour. In english, it means that a person behaves a certain way because of the situation, or their beliefs. For example, if a person steals bread, it the behaviour is attributed to the situation (hunger) or disposition (they are a bad person). The social psychologist attributes all behaviours to the situation. I tried as hard as I could do try to disprove this thinking, but I can't think of any behaviour that doesn't have a situation behind it, except maybe a physical or mental disability. But I don't think those count because they may be involuntary actions. Anyways, the first point about Social Psychology that relates to life, especially high school is conformity. Conformity is: "adjusting one's behaviour or thinking to coincide with a group norm." Everyone conforms. I conform. But I hate it when people change their behaviour 180 degrees. For example, I hate people that change their attitudes just to "fit in with the crowd." I don't like "crowds" it is hard to call many people your true friends. Be happy with what you are. If you believe in something, stand up for it, don't back in. There are a few reasons why people conform. They are insecure, they are in a large group, admiration and no commitment. Most people conform to gain approval or avoid disproval. In the past, I used say my favourite artist was Eminem because everyone listened to him. I thought everyone would approve and I would be "cool." No Chris you were not cool. 

Another thing I hate in school is social loafing. Social loafing is: "the tendency for people in a group to exert less effort when pooling their efforts toward attaining a common goal than when individually accountable." This is so true. I hate group projects because I end up doing all the work and assigning tasks and what not. When I make a suggestion, everyone just says:
"Oh its Chris Wong he's always right." 
I hate that so much. I am not the smartest guy, I am not always right, please please don't say that again. When I am wrong, which a lot of the times I am, how stupid do you feel. You copied off someone that was wrong. I sometimes want to tell you people the wrong answers just to screw you over. I wish I was the smartest guy, but I am not. I put effort in my work and that's how I get my results. It baffles me how many people fail Biology. Its not that hard. (If you are reading this and you failed Biology, I am not calling you stupid, this is just what I am seeing). I hate it when people ask me for my notes and answers for worksheets. That pisses me off the most. I put effort into my studies and all you do is party on the weekends, hoping that Chris Wong will save the day for you. Well why don't you ask this question to yourself. What have you done to deserve my notes? All you biology students that take my notes are freeloaders. I try to be nice, and all you do is take my stuff and run away. I hope you read this, take a good look at yourself in the mirror, and then stop complaining about your C- in Biology. This is what you idiots ask me.
"Chris what is actin and myosin?"
"Did you read the textbook?"
"No I forgot to study I got smashed on the weekend."
"Fuck you."
You people have no self-awareness. When you ask what I get on my test, I just shrug because I don't want you to know. Then you go off and brag that you got an A-. I don't really care. What makes you think I care. That is why I just shrug and go off. If you want a HI-5 from me, you're not getting one. So don't come crying to me asking for my notes because you wont get anything. I really hope you fail in life because you try to cheat off others.  I am not saying that I am not going to help you. There is a big difference between help and freeloading. Most of you people think that they are the same thing.
"Chris Wong can you help me?"
"Sure what do you need help with?"
"Oh just send me your notes."
No I am not going to send you my notes. You write your own notes, My notes come straight out of the course pack which everyone has. You're just too lazy to sit in front of the computer for 45 minutes, read the writing, and type. You instant message and go on Facebook, it should be a piece of cake. I am more than willing to help you, but you have to put in the effort to help yourself. The resources are around you, use them.

I am out of ideas. This blog turned into a rant... again.
Its late, I should get sleep.

1 comment: